John Oliphant is the Chairman of Third Way Investment Group, Executive Director and Founding Partner of Third Way Investment Partners. He is also the Chairman of All Weather Capital – a boutique hedge fund manager with assets under management of R5.5 billion. He was the youngest CEO of a JSE listed company when he was at GAIA Infrastructure Capital. John is the former Principal Executive Officer (PEO) of the GEPF, the largest Pension Fund in Africa with assets in excess of R1.6 trillion. He was the key driver behind GEPF’s leading investment policies and strategy. Working closely with the board, the assets of the GEPF doubled in less than 5 years during his tenure and in one of the toughest economic environment in recent history.
John also serves on a number of key strategic industry initiatives including being the Chairman of the Code for Responsible Investing in South Africa (CRISA), as well serving as a member of the PRI Advisory council. He was key to the establishment of CRISA which is hailed as one of the best in the world. He was recognised by Batseta Council of Retirement Funds (previously known as POA) as Industry Person of the year in financial services in 2012. In the same year, he was recognised by The Mail and Guardian as one of the Top 200 young South Africans for his contribution in the world of Pensions. In 2013 he was named Africa’s Top Emerging leader by Africa Investor.
John holds a BSc (Actuarial Science & Mathematical Statistics), BSc(Hons) Advanced Mathematics of Finance, and MSc Finance (Economic Policy).
- Head of Stanlib Alternative Investments Franchise 2006-2008
- Named as the Association of Black Securities and Investment Professional’s top emerging talent in 2007
- Member of the PAIDF Investment Committee, 2008-2013
- Member of the JSE SRI Advisory Committee, 2009-2012
- Top 200 young South Africans , EY , 2011
- Industry Person of the year , Batseta (previously known as POA), 2012
- Africa’s Top Emerging Leader – Africa Investor , 2013
- Member of the Board – UN supported Principles for Responsible Investing, 2011-2014